Mother in the Ocean


The black Atlantic reaches 
out to sky and back up overhead.
I arch my back across the clammy sand
arranging my fashionable suit
publicly across my ribs.

The summer people have all gone.

Mother is out up to her neck
in swells she takes straight on,
arms up and out.
Her grey face floats
above the waves
she wears like loose robes
falling from her shoulders
around her shrinking form.

“Come in, come in,” she calls. 

She waves her fingers like ruffled handkerchiefs
above the breakers.
I imagine she is drifting
beyond the breakwater
where icebergs already crystallize
and I cannot swim.

(I have never loved a sea
that knocks me down
and fills my mouth with sand,
turning my toes the color of dead flesh.)

“Come in, come in,” she calls. 
“The water’s warm.”

I do as I am told.
The water grabs my crotch
like a frozen hand.
On tiptoe I bob
toward her like a timid child
afraid to wet my fingers.

Reaching out to grab them,
she rises and she falls
pulling me toward her
where I cannot touch the bottom.

Beach noises fade.
We ride the thrusts of waves
like willing virgins
over the edge
bravely into the center
of everything dark
everything cold.