Catch and Release

I will let you go my fish,
head you upstream so current heals your gills
and I will watch you rest
revive and flip
your foolish fins and swim off free.
And I will tell them how I had you here
on this green riverbank
how strong you are
and what a fight we had to pull you in.
And I will let you go
remembering some accident gave me the hook
and you the urge to take it.

(But I cannot tell all:
your body is a soft tongue
and your silver muscles arrogantly swim the air
while I unstick this barbless hook.)

Swim far and deep where it is calm
and sink to the bottom of a clear pool.
Other hooks have barbs
and other fishers
take more trophies home than words
or images of sunlight
tossed among the ripples on your back.

(So too fish let me go.
We catch as best we can
keep best what lets us be.)