Call Waiting

Before she connects
filling in outlines I have remembered
without color--all gray to me
but hers, always the brightest
elemental lithium exposed to air
and breaking  into pointed splinters.
Remember how?  she says,
then unearths some story with bones I know,
but flesh that’s decomposed and hanging.

She connects it all new, us golden girlies
in dark woods between the houses of our mothers
and among the dead sunfish we caught in one hour
and enduring nights in the backyard tent
with flashlights and mosquitoes
where we played Hangman in the dark.
I could see the letters in their places,
but she could see the gallows line by line,
and talked me to sleep before I won.

She tells me she’s been crazy but is not
now and I know what she means.
I have not been crazy so much
as wishing to be drunk
but lacking booze enough to follow through.
I need reminding
of the pickle sandwiches we made
and the flapping, old dressup dresses
we visited wrinkled neighbors in.

Her battery is giving out.
Her phone beeps
though the line never really does go dead.
My phone is also hung,
my ears and the dry mouth
I cannot use.

No comments: